Meditation in healing the effects of trauma in the brain

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

This article might be helpful to some of you who are developing a meditation practice in the hope of decreasing the effects of trauma, stress, anxiety.

Harvard Unveils MRI Study Proving Meditation Literally Rebuilds The Brain’s Gray Matter In 8 Weeks

In this video, David Lynch shares about how practicing Transcendental Meditation reduced anger and frustration. He says that Transcendental Meditation played a crucial role in developing his consciousness and boosting his creativity. He explains his understanding about consciousness, creativity and the brain.

My experience with TM. I’ve learned many different meditation techniques over the last 30 years, but TM was the first meditation technique that I learned at the age of 19 when going through a breakdown. At the time, I was pretty desperate to find a way to help me stabilize intense emotional flooding. I was dealing with a tsunami of flashbacks and the intense opening of years of repressed emotions relating to all my childhood trauma. Yet I didn’t yet have a vocabulary, an understanding or tools and techniques to deal with it all. Luckily I started counselling and then, soon after, discovering meditation was, for me, literally life changing.

Might I have had the same result with a different meditation technique? Most likely, I think it opened up in me a deep connection to who I really am and what my life’s really all about and very exciting glimpses into the future where, ultimately meditation and returning to peace and helping others do the same would become my life’s work!

Expect slow and gradual benefits. It’s not like this for everyone, and in fact, as someone who has since taught meditation and run hundreds of meditation groups, my experience is that for most people the positive effects are more slow and gradual, so I don’t want to make create unrealistic expectations in sharing my story. For me, it’s not an exaggeration to say that starting to practice meditation was dramatically life changing, the positive effects and relief were felt immediately, yet there was SO much trauma inside of me that it continued to be a long journey of releasing and resolving and returning to peace. Again and again and again. And for most people that’s a common experience, that meditation helps them return back to more peace, even if it’s a little bit, like when you go for that walk on the beach (which also puts us into a meditative state). But you don’t have to go anywhere to drop in to that peace, it’s inside you wherever you go, whatever’s happening in your world.

I’ve continued to meditate since and consider it to be essential to maintaining wellbeing and balance. And as a parent, I happily admit to it being my ace card during those challenging energy intensive years when the children were quite young.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.