Have you felt judged to be too attached to your trauma, to your story?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Sharing on these very wise and validating words by Jeff Brown. I hope they are soothing for any of you who are suffering at the moment and craving more validating and understanding. When humans suffer, the last thing they need is to be judged for suffering. At their core, humans crave relief from suffering, crave to find more peace, need to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I know that many of the clients I work with would relate to this, and I personally can really relate and it brings my mind to times when I felt accused and misunderstood in these ways and just how painful that was when it came from those whose understanding and empathy would have helped so much.

“There are those who dare to suggest that trauma-survivors are too attached to their trauma. That they are perpetuating their victimhood. That they are choosing to remain stuck. Easy for them to say- they either didn’t experience as much trauma, or they have worked some of it through, or they are in complete denial. It’s been my experience that those who are the most affixed to the argument that we ‘choose’ our traumas, are usually the ones who are dissociating from them the most. Their adherence to dissociative new age beliefs about choice, and victimhood, are a dead giveaway.

Let’s be clear about what we are talking about. Trauma is an embodied experience. It lives in people’s bones, veins, arteries, tissues, muscles, organs. It’s in their cells, hearts and souls. Yes, it is often possible to heal it, but not always. Not in a culture that buries it and that has few methodologies for deep healing. Not in a world that is still actively victimizing.

Rather than making the assumption that trauma survivors are perpetuating their victimhood, let’s do something different. Let’s hear their stories with a compassionate heart. Let’s listen.

http://www.soulshaping.com

There are those who dare to suggest that trauma-survivors are too attached to their trauma. That they are perpetuating…

Posted by JEFF BROWN on Sunday, October 21, 2018

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.