When your child says, “I don’t know what it is.”

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrea Paterson
      Participant

I have recently started the Parenting educator/ instructor course. I am currently working through the Parenting step by step course.
      I have been trying to use some of the strategies with my own children.
      Today, I came across a situation, where I was unsure on what to say.

Over the last wee while, my child (nearly 18), has been trying to work something out in regard to career options for next year.
      This week, I could see that she was becoming overwhelmed with a wealth of information that she is trying to make sense of. She is also tired. A few days ago, we named what it was she was feeling and this worked really well and helped settle her overwhelm.

Today, it was a bit more difficult. She wanted to write an email, asking for more information about a particular career, but was unable to start. We talked this through and what she wanted to say. However, it just felt too much for her, right at that moment.
      I could see that she was becoming a bit upset. When I asked her about it, she said, “I don’t know what it is.”
      She then became withdrawn and then left the room.
      I gave her some space, and also texted her to let her know I was available when she needed me.
      She was able to formulate an email and she became communicative again.

I wondered what you can say to your child when they don’t know what it is, and you don’t know what it is either!!
      Do you just keep repeating, “I can see that you are overwhelmed etc”

Thanks,
      Andrea

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.