Are you tired of repeating yourself, yelling and dealing with constant resistance?
What are the alternatives to punishments, threats and bribes?
Part I gives a great introduction to what TO DO for those who want to move away from yelling and punishments!
In this excerpt from one of my Discipline without Punishment seminars, I touch on some important peaceful parenting approaches that invite cooperation and avoid power struggles. I share small examples and compare responding with threats or bribes compared to the peaceful parenting approaches. An example touched on tackles what to do instead of threatening an unpleasant consequence or bribing with sweets if a child was being very loud and disruptive in the parenting seminar and not responding to parent’s request to be quiet.
Go to the next Unit to watch Part II of this video ...
Note that the first three videos in this eCourse are also available in the 5 Free Videos that the public can access through Start Here in the top menu.
Why won't my child cooperate?
In Part II I walk through the example of a child constantly trying to leave the perimeter of a holiday property despite being told not to. I also tackle avoiding the common struggles and conflicts that happen as a result of the child not wanting to leave the playground.
- What are some of the reasons why children don’t cooperate?
- Speak the child’s language; be specific, be playful, make it fun and engaging
- An important re-frame of “my child has a meltdown whenever she doesn’t get what she wants”
- What are the downsides of threatening unpleasant consequences.
What are the benefits of Problem-solving and asking questions versus imposing solutions?
This video offers an understanding of how peaceful parenting approaches teach children effective problem solving skills which they’ll get better at practicing and will begin to themselves use in tricky challenges with other people all through their life!
This video offers an understanding of how peaceful parenting approaches teach children communication skills and conflict resolution skills which they’ll get better at practicing and will begin to themselves use in tricky challenges with other people all through their life!
How do I get my child to listen?
Why won’t he listen? Why doesn’t she do what I ask? Why do I get so annoyed so quickly? Is it normal to feel this stressed as a parent? If using punishments negatively impacts my bonding with my child, their willingness to cooperate and their self-esteem, how can I make them listen, what WILL work?
In this video, Genevieve (speaking at a seminar) offers a perspective shift that really does tend to result in both you AND your child ….
(a) feeling less stressed and more confident
(b) thinking more creatively
(c) feeling more connected, caring and compassionate
(d) being back on the same team!
Advantages of Premium Village Membership
Remember to check your emails for special time-sensitive discounts. 🙂
Click the image above to find out more about the Village.
- Download videos and/or audio versions to your phone or PC
- More resources for Sibling Struggles in Resource Library
- The Meeting Aggression with Connection tackles helping the child with aggressive tendencies
- The Sibling eCourse being released soon for Premium members
- The Peaceful Parenting Step by Step eCourse will take you through understanding and practicing all the tools that bring more harmony to the family.
- Resources and support from experienced mentors and other parents in the Village green forum, the peaceful partnering group, the eCourse forum (for learning related to courses) and the Self-Healing group (see groups)
- The 10 Day Peaceful Parent Challenge takes you through an accessible 10 minute a day process of developing habits in self-care and mindfulness.
For those who wish to upgrade, these 5 introduction to Discipline without Punishment videos will lead nicely onto the additional videos, extra information, printables and reflection questions to answer on screen in the Discipline without Punishment eCourse and other eCourses, plus forums where you can access support from Genevieve and the team and other parents and so much more.
Some of the videos available to Premium members:
- Beyond Punishment and Reward
- Parenting Styles
- Obedience vs Cooperation
- Loving Limits – Part II of Peaceful Parenting Toolkit
- Offtrack Behaviour – Part II
- Audio version downloads